01 September 2009

on the way...

The day is finally here, I am on my way to Cotonou! I am currently sitting in the Detroit airport waiting for my flight to Paris. I will be arriving in Cotonou, Benin, tomorrow at 7 p.m. local time (1:00 p.m. for those of you in St Louis). Saying goodbye to my family was undoubtedly the hardest part of my trip so far. Emma Claire’s loud sobs could break anyone’s heart, but Isaiah’s silliness helped to lighten the moment. But once I got past the tears, I realized again how incredibly excited I am to be going to Africa. While waiting to board my first plane, I was texting with some friends and thinking myself crazy for what I was about to do. But right as they called my flight to board, I got a text from a friend saying “You’re not crazy, you just wanna serve God! So go!!” That small text gave me the strength to step onto the plane and leave my beloved St Louis behind. Once I turned my phone on in Detroit, I had received several texts from friends and family encouraging me and saying that they were praying for me. It is so exciting to see how many people back at home feel just as much a part of my travels.

I have been amazed over the past months to see God’s hand so clearly orchestrating these plans for the next 7 months. Now that the time is here, it feels so surreal. When I was making the plans, I of course knew what I was getting myself into, but it never really feels like the day is gonna come. Even as I bought my plane ticket, packed up my bags, and said teary goodbyes to my friends, it never really seemed real. It first hit me the realness of the situation last night as I was putting my little brother and sister to bed. They sat cuddled up in my lap for half an hour, showering me with hugs and kisses. Isaiah looked up at me and, in his sweet little voice with pleading eyes, begged, “Kendall, will you miss me while you are gone?” All summer I have asked him if he will miss me, but last night, for the first time, he wanted to be sure I too would miss him. Today, standing at entrance to security, I had to hug everyone goodbye for the last time. That is when the whole situation felt completely real.

At this time my prayers for the next 20 hours are for safety over the rest of my trip. Also, please pray that I will look with excitement at what is to come, even though I had to leave my family and friends behind. Jesus asks us if we will be willing to leave everything we own in order to live a life serving Him. While this is probably one of the hardest steps to take, He promises a life full of joy in serving Him! I know that throughout this trip it is inevitable for me to feel sad at what I have left behind in the States, but the rewards, both in this earthly life and in heaven, will be well worth it! Please pray that in the midst of saying goodbye, I remember that I am heading towards the most incredible adventure of my life so far. Pray that He will also comfort my family as they all struggled to say goodbye, especially Emma Claire. Please continue to pray that upon arriving in Cotonou I will make close friendships quickly in order to make up for (but not replace!) those I have left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment