08 September 2009

one week already?

It is hard to believe that I have already been gone a full week!! Even though I have settled in here well, it doesn't seem like I've already been here a full week! I have adjusted pretty well to ship life, although not completely. It is a very different atmosphere than living at home, but also very different than if I were actually living in the city of Cotonou. It is a nice transition phase, but also comes with problems of its own. The thing that has been most difficult for me to adjust to is the constant rocking of the ship. I constantly find myself swaying from side to side, at times it is hard to keep your balance. Another difficulty is that many things are written in 24 hour clocks, or army time. Trying to decipher that as well as figuring out the time change has caused me lots of confusion in calling home. I have also had to figure out how to estimate conversions from celsius to farenheit, lbs to kg, and USD to CFAs. Not to mention all the while trying to understand dozens of differing accents! While I have been told that the full adjustment phase takes about a months time, I am happy to report that the first week has not been too difficult.

At this time please pray that I am able to keep my energy up! Working regular work hours, 8-4, 5 days a week, is exhausting!! By 9 o'clock in the evening typically I am yawning and fully capable of falling asleep for the night!
Please also continue to pray also that I am able to raise a bit more money, I am still in need of between $500 to $1000. There are lots of opportunities to take weekend trips to neighboring countries or various parts of Benin. While the costs are extremely cheap, I am having to limit my spending due to my tight budget. While I am here, I hate to say no to a low-cost backpacking trip through Ghana or a safari in Northern Benin, as these opportunities are once in a lifetime!! But without knowing how I will pay for a plane ticket home, I am having to limit my spending money. So please pray that not only will I get the rest of the support I desperately need, but also that I will be able to be wise in my spending habits while abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment