10 December 2009

day two on the sea

Today was day two of our sail; thankfully it turned out to be quite smooth as well. This morning work went on as usual, although I had quite a bit of difficulty making coffee while swaying back and forth. There were a couple of times when no customers were around and so I tried to sit on the stool we have behind the counter. More than once I ended up simply tipping straight over! After the third or fourth time I fell, I decided it would be best just to remain standing instead.

This evening as everyone sat at dinner, it was announced that some sort of funnel of water had been spotted near the boat. After the entire crew rushed to the windows, we saw that it was a water spout! We were so close to it that we could see the water coming up out of the ocean and forming the funnel. Some people said they think it was as close as a mere mile away.

About an hour later, the announcement came that dolphins had been spotted alongside the boat. Because I was nowhere near a window, I decided not to rush out to look. Apparently the dolphins were all gone before most people were even in a spot where they could potentially be visible. After another half hour, it was announced that killer whales had been seen! At this I decided it was well worth it to leave my work and rush to the window. I never got to see the whales come above the water, but I was able to see the water shoot from the surface as they came near the surface to breathe.

Later on in the evening we had a Christmas storytelling night. Different groups put together skits and were stationed in separate areas of the ship. The rest of the crew traveled from station to station to watch each skit. We all met back together in the International Lounge where the Academy children put on a music performance followed by Christmas carols sung by the whole crew. It was a fun evening to ring in the sail and to celebrate Christmas together. All in all I would say that Day 2 of the sail was quite a success! Great memories and zero seasickness! Now let’s pray the rest of the sail continues this smoothly!

1 comment: